Thursday, March 11, 2010

Religon

This is a tough topic but one that I feel I need to provide reasoning around. I have spent a lot of time learning about Christianity, Islam and Hinduism. Coming from Malaysia and having lived in three different continents, I have been exposed to Buddhism, Jainism, Orthodox and Judaism. Here is my current state of thinking.

1. It is important to understand how religions came to being. In my opinion, every human being has an innate "need". Refer to Maslow's hierarchy of needs for what an example of "needs" are. One of the key elements to achieve one or more of these "needs" is the presence of a religion that people abide by. Why? Religion offers a common way of thought and decision making and hence a consistent way of actions. Independent of what that means in precise terms, this brings about a sense of predictability around how the environment around us works. This allows for peace, belonging, prosperity and hence achieving the "needs".


2. Taking away the ritualistic aspects, mythological and historical aspects out of religion leaves us with a set of guiding principles. A moral compass so to speak. This is religion in its truest form that tries to achieve point 1.


So my current conclusion is that all religions are inherently in their truest form good since they are derived from the intent to achieve "needs" that I share. The key is to have an open mind and absorb the religion in its truest form. Be doubtful, be open to questions and always challenge commonly accepted beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers